Re: [SLE] Installation catastrophe
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:17:38 -0400
Keith Powell wrote:

I have, what is to me, a major problem!

I have been running SuSE7.2 without problem. Then I decided to install the
KDE2.2 beta RPMs from the cover disk of a magazine using YAST.

Now nothing works.

SuSE boots until I get to the KDM screen, which is all grey apart from
"Welcome to SuSE" which is green. There is just the log-in and password
boxes. No images or choice of desktops. Trying to log in, whether as root or
myself, makes the screen go black for a couple of seconds and then the KDM
log-in screen re-appears. I can't get any further than that.

I'll take a guess. The RPMs are probably for Red Hat and they probably put stuff in the wrong places. You need the SuSE ones, which you can get from kde.org.

To get yourself on the air, reboot your system and specify mode 3 to Lilo. I don't remember for sure how to do that, but you need to get to a text login (with Esc, maybe?) and then specify a kernel name followed by 3, I think. Then you can get started without depending on the kdm login.

Then retrieve the SuSE RPMs from kernel.org (maybe it's easier, given your setup, to do that from Windows rather than using textual ftp) and install them. Also be sure to uninstall the existing ones with rpm -e first. You can find out what's installed (again, this works in text mode) with:

rpm -qa | grep kde

Good luck.

Paul

< Previous Next >