Re: [SLE] Installation catastrophe
  • From: StarTux <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 14:43:23 -0700
Keith Powell wrote:

I have, what is to me, a major problem!

I have been running SuSE7.2 without problem. Then I decided to install the
KDE2.2 beta RPMs from the cover disk of a magazine using YAST.

Now nothing works.

SuSE boots until I get to the KDM screen, which is all grey apart from
"Welcome to SuSE" which is green. There is just the log-in and password
boxes. No images or choice of desktops. Trying to log in, whether as root or
myself, makes the screen go black for a couple of seconds and then the KDM
log-in screen re-appears. I can't get any further than that.

Using the boot disk for the first time (I have never had to use it before,
so using it is a new experience) whatever I enter at the boot prompt, yast,
root, init 2, and so on, always brings up an error message that the kernal
image of whatever I typed in could not be found.

My idea was to run YAST without going into KDE, uninstall the new KDE and
re-install the old one.

I have a lot of data and programs on the hard drive, which I don't want to
lose by reformatting the drive and reinstalling SuSE.

PLEASE can someone help me either with a suggestion (in simple language!) to
get past the log-in screen or to get back to the original KDE.

I had previously upgraded KDE when I used SuSE7.1 and all went very
smoothly, so I thought this would be the same. I have no idea why it doesn't
work and has completely messed up the system.

I have read the manual many times, but can't get any help with this problem
from it.

I am using Windows to send this, but I mainly use SuSE.

Sorry if this is a very basic query, but I don't know how to solve it.

Very many thanks

Keith

I had something similer. The quickest way around this is to either install the KDE2 updates on the suse FTP site, or to re-install KDE2 from the SuSE CD's.

Sucks I know....

By the way, KDE 2,2 final should appear on August 13th.

Matt

< Previous Next >