Re: [SLE] Installation catastrophe
On Saturday 11 August 2001 4:33 pm, Keith Powell wrote:
> I have been running SuSE7.2 without problem. Then I decided to install the
> KDE2.2 beta RPMs from the cover disk of a magazine using YAST.
>
> Now nothing works.
>
> SuSE boots until I get to the KDM screen, which is all grey apart from
> "Welcome to SuSE" which is green. There is just the log-in and password
> boxes. No images or choi
> I have read the manual many times, but can't get any help with this problem
> from it.
>
> I am using Windows to send this, but I mainly use SuSE.
>
> Sorry if this is a very basic query, but I don't know how to solve it.
ce of desktops. Trying to log in, whether as root
> or myself, makes the screen go black for a couple of seconds and then the
> KDM log-in screen re-appears. I can't get any further than that.
>
> Using the boot disk for the first time (I have never had to use it before,
> so using it is a new experience) whatever I enter at the boot prompt,
> yast, root, init 2, and so on, always brings up an error message that the
> kernal image of whatever I typed in could not be found.
>
> My idea was to run YAST without going into KDE, uninstall the new KDE and
> re-install the old one.
>
> I have a lot of data and programs on the hard drive, which I don't want to
> lose by reformatting the drive and reinstalling SuSE.
>
> PLEASE can someone help me either with a suggestion (in simple language!)
> to get past the log-in screen or to get back to the original KDE.
>
> I had previously upgraded KDE when I used SuSE7.1 and all went very
> smoothly, so I thought this would be the same. I have no idea why it
> doesn't work and has completely messed up the system.

First, "Don't Panic"!

Boot up as normal and let the graphical login screen come up. Then press
<CNTL><ALT><F2> and login to the console. You can then use YaST1 to put
things right.

Tip: Always have /home on a separate partition. Then, you can always recover
your data following a re-install.