Re: [SLE] WP8 and SuSE 7.2
On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 09:02:58PM -0400 or thereabouts, NTF wrote:
> On Thursday 09 August 2001 22:36, Gary wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 07:32:54AM -0700 or thereabouts, Tony Alfrey wrote:
> > > "cannot load the library libXpm.so.4"

> > Hi Tony,
> > The way I got it installed is this way, leave the installed WP8 in your
> > system. Unlinstall libc5/lib. I think it is called shlibc5. Yes,
> > uninstall it, then reinstall it. It should work now. Don't know why
> > but it did. <g> I have subsequently moved up to WP2000 suite and this
> > works beautifully.

> Gary -
>
> thanks for the tip - it got my WP8 working again on 7.2.

You are welcome. I don't know why this works, it just does, I came
across it by accident.

> A couple of oddities, however. When I did a clean install of 7.2, I installed
> shlibs, knowing I would need it for WP8. I then installed my retail copy of
> WP8, to be confronted by the "cannot load the library libXpm.so.4" problem. I
> managed to get past that by copying libXpm.so.4 and the associated symlinks
> over to /usr/lib, from /usr/i486-linux-libc5. However, at that point, when
> trying to start the program, I got:
>
> dmgrover@cranky:~ > /opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp
> /opt/wp8/wpbin/xwp: can't resolve symbol '_dl_pagesize'
<snip>
> After removing shlibs, and deleting libXpm.so.4 and the symlinks from
> /usr/lib, and re-installing shlibs, while leaving WP8 in place, it works fine.

Go figure.

> I guess what's bugging me is "why?" It almost seems Windows-ish. You
> know the routine - uninstalling/re-installing to get a problematic
> windows app. to work.

I don't know.... I think it has something to do with the symbolic link

> No flame intended towards SuSE, of course. Bottom line is, it got an
> application I wanted to work running. Just strikes me as strange. I still
> need WP8 for exchanging documents with colleagues who are still using WP7/8
> on windows. I guess eventually, when libc5 is no longer available, I'll need
> to keep a legacy machine around.

I use WP all the time, switched years ago from that OLE depository they
call a word processor. There are still things you can do in WP that
cannot be done at all, or some without a great deal of difficulty, in
Word.

Glad I could help on this one. BTW, look for a file called WT9US.uwl.
This file holds your quick correct phrases. You can add, up to about
16,000 phrases or paragraphs, (I think), but some ungodly number,with a
short cut to expand out the word or phrase. This saves a lot of time.
For example, this paragraph could have been expanded by me typing in gi,
or some such. This saves a lot of keystrokes for frquently used
words/phrases. If you start using the quick correct, make a back up of
this file regularly.

--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought:
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried
before.