Acting as outgoing SMTP for customers with dynamic IPs without becoming an open relay
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 15:26:12 -0500
Hello,

We are finally faced with the following situation:
We have some customers who need to be able to use our mail server as their outgoing SMTP server (running Postfix). They are on dynamic IPs, so we can't just add one or two IPs to the relay configuration ($mynetworks).

To make matters even worse, they really should be able to use our mail server to send from their laptops when traveling, and of course there's no way to know before hand what net block they're going to be on while traveling around the world. We cannot just open up wide and become an open relay.

So , hopefully other people on this list have run into similar situations. What is the best solution for this? What have the rest of y'all done?

My boss said he'd hear of packages that authenticate you for relaying when you successfully check your pop3. Currently I'm running Solid-pop3d for virtual user/virtual domain support, so I'm not sure how that will work.

Any advise is appreciated, especially the Voice of Experience:-)

TIA!

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com