Re: [SLE] usb ide removable hard drive
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:15:59 +0200
You don't mention the brand of the drive, but at http://www.linux-usb.org/
there's a list of devices with support under linux. I believe there are also
instructions for making it work if it is supported. My guess would be that
similar to most other drivers (eg. scsi), the driver puts entries in
/var/log/messages or /var/log/boot.msg as it loads, and tells you which
/dev-device it has used. I've never used a USB device under linux, but
something under /dev/usb/ seems likely

HTH
regards
Anders

On Thursday 09 August 2001 19:41, Robert Barish wrote:
> Ok I have find on my own the answer to number 2) in the help files It says
> to format to use the following
> mkfs -t ext2 -c /dev/hdb1 (where /dev/hdb1 is the drive your want to
> format) nowI just need to know the drive designation SuSe 7.2 gives to
> usb storage drives. Any inputs?
>
> Thanks
> Sincerely
> bob
>
> On Thursday 09 August 2001 10:12, Robert Barish wrote:
> > Hello Everyone
> > Being a linux convert from windoz there are still somethings I am having
> > a hard time with. I looked thru the archives to see if maybe be I can
> > answer my own questions and I have been able to answer some and not
> > others. The one I am working in right now is, I have a usb ide
> > removeable hard drive I would like to use again. I believe it is
> > supported. When in look usbmgr is see it there. So my qustions are as
> > follows: 1)I am assuming I have to mount the drive first to use it. So
> > how do I mount th drive. I know how to mount cdrom and floppy on the
> > command line because I know the devices.
> >
> > 2)Once I have mounted the drive I will need to format the whole drive so
> > I can put files on it under linux. How do I do this manually. Since I
> > installed linux it has always been do automatically upon installation.
> >
> > Sorry for the real basic questions. I consider myself and very advance
> > user on wwindoze and since my conversion (happly so) to linux I am having
> > a hard time with the basics. I hope I have made my questions clear!
> >
> > Thanks again for all you patience and help
> > bob

< Previous Next >