Re: [SLE] Setting Up FTP Server
  • From: <dog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:02:14 -0500 (CDT)
make sure you have the proftpd rpm and the ftpdir rpm installed. now,
once these are installed, uncomment the line in /etc/inetd.conf like
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd proftpd
and then start (or restart) inetd. rcinetd restart will do this for you.

i assume the username brandon is a valid user on the system. if so, then
you should be able to ftp to the machine, login as brandon and upload
files to brandon's home directory. if you want to upload files directly
to /usr/local/httpd/htdocs, you will need to make this directory writable
by the user brandon, or by whatever group brandon is in. note, this opens
up some questions about security so be aware of that. also, i would not
recommend ftping as root, especially to the / partition. this is just not
a good idea at all. its better to ftp as a normal user, put the files
somewhere then login via ssh and su to root and put the files where they
need to be.

also you may want to setup tcp-wrappers to restrict access to your ftp
server. do this by putting an entry in /etc/hosts.allow like
proftpd: 208.149. : ALLOW
(change the ip address to match your ip address range)

and an entry in /etc/hosts.deny like
ALL: ALL

the first allows ftp connections from the networks 208.149.0.0 to
208.149.255.255. the second denies all other connection attempts if there
is no rule to allow them in /etc/hosts.allow. this makes the ftp server
somewhat more secure.

good luck setting this up.