Re: [SLE] Baffled by PPP
  • From: quintaq@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:46:22 +0100
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:25:25 +0000
tabanna <tabanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, Geoff :)
>
> my ppp seems to be vers 2.3.8
>
> { being a non-progressive type, am still running, basically,
> SuSE 6.2 {;-> }
>
> with kernel linux-2.2.16 all fine ~ no probs
>
> however, when using linux-2.4.7 , am hitting several probs :-
>
> ppp
> Java
> Serial ports
> modules in new places
> ----------------
>
> by creating /lib/modules/2.4.7/misc
> , and, then, copying the serial ports module to the misc directory,
> i manage to get the use of serial ports :)
>
> BUT, java still screwed up, and ppp dont work

Hi Richard,

As I said, you definitely need at least ppp 2.4 with kernel 2.4.7 (in fact
with every kernel since 2.4.1 I think) You do also need the current
modutils that Jyry Kuukkanen mentions in his post. You will find more
details in usr/src/linux/Documentation/changes - which sets out pretty
clearly what you need to run these kernels.

More generally, I switched to kernel.org kernels when 2.4.0 was released, -
not because I was unhappy with SuSE kernels, but because I saw it as an
opportunity to learn and to have more control over my system. Modules were
definitely the hardest thing to deal with, - I guess that I spent about 3
days learning about modules and rebuilding my modules.conf more or less
from scratch, but using my existing SuSE as a model. - I am sure that
anyone with a proper training in computing would have been much quicker,
but that was my experience.

Because I have never installed a SuSE kernel upgrade, I do not know if it
saves you all these problems, - I suppose it might. For my own part, I am
glad I went down the kernel.org route, because I do feel that I have
learned a lot and achieved by goal of greater control.

Have a good afternoon in the sun. Some of us had a sunny morning here in
England, which will have to be paid for in three day of rain.

Regards,

Geoff