Re: [SLE] Gateway Woes
  • From: Rick Green <rtg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 23:32:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 8 Aug 2001 kbb0927@xxxxxx wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I spent some time last pm getting my desktop setup to use as a gateway.
> To make a long story short, with the help of Bruce Marshall, I got
> SuSEfirewall2 set up and running. I am actually sending this email from
> a windoze machine on my home lan behind that firewall.
>
> The problem is now, the gateway will not browse the web using any browser
> and www.blahblahblah.whatever. If i put in an IP address of say, Yahoo,
> it will go that site and pull up that page. In other words, typing
> www.suse.com eventually times out with cannot connect to remote server.

It sounds like your routing and filtering are just fine, but name
resolution isn't working.

Check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf. It should contain the addresses
of your ISP's DNS (or, for that matter, any DNS, but the closer the
better).
The comments warn not to edit the file directly. Instead, edit the
NAMESERVER and SEARCHLIST variables in /etc/rc.config, then run
SuSEconfig. It'll build a valid resolv.conf for you.

--
Rick Green

"I have the heart of a little child, and the brain of a genius.
... and I keep them in a jar under my bed"