[SLE] Ports question
  • From: "Sean Rima" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wednesday, 08 Aug 2001 23:24:29 +000
Originally to: Andy Calloway

Hello Andy.

08 Aug 01 11:07, you wrote to all:

AC> We're trying to get Tomcat to run on port 80, rather than 8080
AC> (the default), however there appears to be some security stopping it.

AC> I seem to remember someone telling me you couldn't use ports below a
AC> certain number for some reason, does anyone know how to change this?

Root is usually the only user who can start apps that use ports below 1024. I
think you have to change something in the kernel setup to allow this.

Sean

<-> Gateway Information.
This message originated from a Fidonet System (http://www.fidonet.org)
and was gated at TCOB1 (http://www.tcob1.net)
Please do not respond direct to this message but via the list