Re: [SLE] Lan question
  • From: Rick Green <rtg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Felipe Blanco wrote:

> My answer is ...is there anyway to find out what machine is "eating" most
> percent of bandwith ??
>
> The incoming traffic pass through a ethernet in a fw,so i only need a tool
> like iptraf or something like this...to know wich of the 50 hosts is
> demanding more bandwith than others

It seems that you already know the answer. iptraf will easily tell you
what IP address is getting the most traffic.
The one sticky point is that the machine running iptraf must sit at a
point on the network where it can see all the traffic. If your LAN is
supported by a switch rather than a hub, you'll have to figure out how to
put one port of that switch into a promiscuous monitor mode.
..or insert a small hub in the ethernet link between the 2610 and the
switch, and monitor from there.

-- Rick Green

"I have the heart of a little child, and the brain of a genius.
... and I keep them in a jar under my bed"