Re: [SLE] Ksnuffle's and my account+proxy1+Queries?
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:17:43 +0300
* Curtis Rey; <crrey@xxxxxxxx> on 08 Aug, 2001 wrote:
> A) Ensure that my sys is not being used for malicious purposes

Close all services not needed (other words in rc.config
"START IDENTD=no"

if remote access is necessary use SSH2 (openssh)

> B) Any resource for securing net access such as Readme's, HowTo's, Programs,
> etc....

if you are willing to to be on the edge use iptables by configuring
SuSEFirewall2 (this is for iptables) http://www.suse.de/~marc

if you want to be on safe side as I am use ipchains and for firewall use
kernel 2.2.19

again you may want to use SuSEfirewall (the other one for ipchains)
adress same as above

I have found for Ipchains firewall setup "pmfirewall" is well organized
just answer couple of questions (of course carefully) and you are ready
to go. http://www.pmfirewall.com

install snort (version 1.8.1 comes out with a nice manual also)

> Please bear in mind throwing a comment at me that state "Use ipchains" will
> be absolutely no use to me (the same goes for read man ipchains) because I
> have looked at these and am not fully understanding them because Linux is the
> only experience I have with Unix style systems and that's very limited at
> best.

join the suse-security list
Read

Cross your fingers