Re: [SLE] Two Hubs
  • From: Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:51:30 +0100
On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 11:11:42AM -0400, pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> My intention was to link Hub A to Hub B. I've tried the "uplink" port of hub
> B as well as a standard port going to Hub A. Neither of them allowed any
> machine connected to Hub A communicate with any machine connected to Hub B. I
> have no idea what's wrong with this setup. The cable was straight-through
> Cat5 and not a crossover. The only solution that I've been able to get
> working is to directly connect the sole machine in Room A to the hub in Room
> B using single wire connecting the two rooms. This leaves rooms C and D dead,
> and no ability to use my laptop which is usually connected to room C.

If you are using a non-crossover cable, you should connect an 'uplink' port
on one of the hubs to a standard port on the other.

Also, many hubs which are specified as "N-port + uplink" are actually N-port
hubs, with the uplink port shared with a standard port (i.e. the standard
and uplink ports are wired in parallel, and the uplink port wired in
crossover configuration. Try unplugging each of your machines from Hub B
in turn, and see if the network magically springs to life.

HTH...

--
David Smith Tel: +44 (0)1454 462380 (direct)
STMicroelectronics Fax: +44 (0)1454 617910