Re: [SLE] Two Hubs
  • From: Gideon Hallett <diogenes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:39:42 +0000
On Wednesday 08 August 2001 3:11 pm, David Grove wrote:

> My intention was to link Hub A to Hub B. I've tried the "uplink" port of
> hub B as well as a standard port going to Hub A. Neither of them allowed
> any machine connected to Hub A communicate with any machine connected to
> Hub B. I have no idea what's wrong with this setup. The cable was
> straight-through Cat5 and not a crossover.

There's one thing. Hub-hub, like switch-switch, needs a crossover cable (i.e.
1-3,2-6,3-1,6-2). The 'uplink' port on a hub is usually either crossed or has
a two-position button (crossed/uncrossed). If you've got such a button, try
both positions. If you've got a crossover cable, try connecting the hubs
using that and a normal port at each end.

(And if both uplink ports have crossed/uncrossed buttons, make sure that
they're not both in the same position...)

If that doesn't give you anything, then you've probably got a hardware
failure somewhere; either a port that has failed and partitioned, or a duff
cable.

That's my $0.02.

Gideon.