Two Hubs
I have a problem. Thought you might have a clue or have run into this before.

I have two hubs, let's call them A and B. (Physically, A is a big mama, and B
is a dinky D-Link.) I have four rooms, A, B, C, and D. (Physically, A is
where I work, and B is where I've moved the machines to lower the heat in
this small room.) Hub A is in room A, hub B is in room B. I have Cat5 going
from rooms B, C, and D to room A to connect the house to a central point.

Some background. Two days ago, Hub B didn't exist, and all of the machines
were in room A save one. This made it almost too hot to work during summer
days in here. So I moved all machines but one into room B last night.

There are now 4 machines in Room B on hub B. There is one machine in room A.

My intention was to link Hub A to Hub B. I've tried the "uplink" port of hub
B as well as a standard port going to Hub A. Neither of them allowed any
machine connected to Hub A communicate with any machine connected to Hub B. I
have no idea what's wrong with this setup. The cable was straight-through
Cat5 and not a crossover. The only solution that I've been able to get
working is to directly connect the sole machine in Room A to the hub in Room
B using single wire connecting the two rooms. This leaves rooms C and D dead,
and no ability to use my laptop which is usually connected to room C.

I need to have a hub in both rooms A and B.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

< Previous Next >