Re: [SLE] Telnet Connection
  • From: Dave Smith <Dave.Smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:19:25 +0100
On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 07:18:40AM +0530, rspatil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I have installed Suse 7.1 Pro with apache, Samba, wu-ftp
> & other packages. The server is serving a LAN of 10 W9x PCs
> with static IPs. The Server IP is Kept as 192.168.10.1 and
> all nodes are kept ---.10 to ---.19 The Web Server, FTP is
> responding from each PC and i am able browse, d/l u/l files
> to the server. I am also able to login to server through
> Samba and all shares are working as Expected.
>
> I got login to server with some normal user and used
> Telnet command from w9x run command. When i try to connect
> to Telnet, timeofday, echo etc etc the message connection
> lost pops up.
>
> I am new to Linux can somebody tell me what could be wrong ?

Could be:

o Telnet ports disabled in /etc/inetd.conf, since they are a security
risk. I would recommend using ssh and putty instead.

o Reverse-DNS lookup failing, causing the connection to time out -
if you try to connect to the telnet port, Linux machine will
try to look up the IP address from the connecting machine to see if
it has a name. If your DNS or /etc/hosts file are unable to provide
this information, it may cause a delay, making the connection time out.

--
David Smith Tel: +44 (0)1454 462380 (direct)
STMicroelectronics Fax: +44 (0)1454 617910