Re: [SLE] critisism toward SuSE 7.2
  • From: "Fergus Wilde" <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:04:43 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaakko Tamminen" <jtamminen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "SuSE Linux English" <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 4:51 PM
Subject: [SLE] critisism toward SuSE 7.2

> Hi all
>
> I'm getting bored with SuSE 7.2 and Linux now... here are few reasons
why...

This list is generally for help with Linux, not for you to vent about your
mental state. But feel free to tell us when you're bored.

> It all started when samba did not work with my LAN. There is nothing
special
> about my LAN.

Samba works with LANs. You haven't configured it properly.

> I have a linux-box as a firewall and printing server. It is connected
with
> ADSL to internet.
>
> Then I have a linux workstation.
>
> Then there is win-98 machine too..
>
> 1)
> The linux-box does not work properly with 2.4.5-4G kernel.. The line
keeps
> coming down randomly..

Why not use the kernel issued with the distribution then?

> No help whatsoever.. No manuals tells anything about this kind of problem.
No
> log reveils even where to look for!
>
> Went back to kernel 2.2.19, but then I loose the VPN stuff, and that was
the
> reason in the first place for me to get SuSE 7.2.
>
> Now it is useless, waste of money...
Don't buy another.

> There seems to be NO way to build a desent VPN with 2.2.xx kernel because
> lack of TUN/TAP devices, and unable to reach beond a NAT... crap!
>
> And I simply don't want to compile a custom kernel for that, start
patching
> and stuff.. it is just too much!
>
> I want the VPN up now, and not spending a week worth of hours just to make
> custom system, that after crash is close to impossible to repeat...
>
> With M$ it is a very simple task!

Fine, use Windows. It's a free world.

> 2)
> I can not find any solution to read my digital camera FLAS-card with the
> USB-reader that came with it. It has been on the market for close to 2
year
> now.. Where is the driver??.

Dunno, why don't you write one?
> 3)
> I can not use vmware, because it is so slow.. I have tried every possible
> setup that a human can imagine, but it is just too slow.. There is no way
> that I can install Linux to spouses machine, because she needs a
> win-bookkeeping software in her work.
>
> 3)
> Linux sound-card support sucks badly! I had to go and buy one that suits
> Linux.

Read the hardware compatibility lists for the OS you need, then spec you
machine, don't buy a computer specified for Windows then be surprised when
it doesn't work with other OSes.
You'll probably find Mac OS won't install either.

> 4)
> Multimedia sucks too! Why can't I just click on the file, and it woudl
then
> bring up the screen and show it to me...?
>
> Always some upgrading and patching and compiling and trying to find the SW
if
> there is any.. no way!
>
> And in the end there is not support for quite common formats at all!

Doesn't sound as if open source is for you, does it? You don't seem to have
understood any of the principles on which it works.
> 5)
> Same thing with network cards.. I had several 3c509 cards around, but I
was
> not able to make them work reliable. Only 2 of them did work, rest did
not..
> So I had to go out and buy stuff again...

Again, why buy cards marked as incompatible with your chosen OS?
> 6)
> Display cards.. I had to buy an old Matrox G-200 from a friend of mine,
> because Linux did not have desent support for 3d-accelerated card that I
had.

Great, you bought some more unsupported hardware without checking.
> 7)
> Why are the logs keep filling with all sort of weird and non-important
stuff
> all the time.. there is almost no way to stop them, except sitting here
night
> after night playing around with setups.. no way!

Because most people want to see these. Obviously the impressive logging for
Win98 is better for you.

> 8)
> My x-server keeps also giving me these errors all the time.. It works, but
> still it is so annoying when I stop x-server to see screenfulls of weird
> warnings and error-messages.

You'll find that 'weird warnings' is an ideal diagnostic data set for people
to help you with. Try calling MS support and telling them your machine is
doing 'strange shit'. They'll be able to clear that up for you in a jiffy.

> 9)
> When installing / removing software with zast or zast2, it keeps
complaining
> about depencies, and I must keep on clicking and clicking like in M$.. so
why
> bother.

That Zast, eh. I hate it too. Made me use Yast.

> 10)
> Fonts in graphical UI... horrible!! How can it be so difficult to find
where
> to adjust those (if one can find them at all)???

Life is such a bitch sometimes, isn't it? And then you die ...

> 11)
> Lack of common "look-and-feel" in GUi.. Everyone can see that.. Okay, I
admit
> that konqueror did bring things much closer to usability, but still....
>
> And the list goes on and on...

It does rather, doesn't it? And it's not the only thing round here that goes
on and on ...

> Then good thing about Linux is that it keeps doing this day after day
without
> ever crashing... What a comfort...
>
> It would be so easy solution to take a win out-of-the-box, and start doing
> stuff.. spend much less money to few SW that makes it secure, and live
> happily....

Did I mention that it's a free world? The whole list is overjoyed at
visualising your happy Windows life. Enjoy. Big it up. Why don'tcha?
I'll be a bit surprised if you find it cheaper to run a network, though.
You won't forget to pay Bill for each OS licence, instance of MS Office,
etc., etc, will you?

> This SuSE and LInux thing are really getting me pissed off.. At first I
> thought this is very nice thing.. I did programming, build some HW and was
> able to make that work under Linux easily etc..
>
> And when running plain text-mode, it seems to work nicely...
>
> But now when I'm getting closer to really start working with LInux, it
show
> up not to be what I expected it to be... sad but true. It seems to be a
toy
> for people that don't need to be productive... ?

Poor man. But then so much of life is like that, isn't it? I thought
growing up would be so much more fun. My first kiss could have been better.
Hey, how about founding a suse-linux-bitch-about-how-tough-life-is list?

> Sorry to sound pessimistic, but this is the situation... Linux sucks, and
> perhaps I go back to M$ world, because it is so easy to set up and
maintain
> when comparing to Linux...

Good for you. Thanks for venting. And well done - you've identified
something that sucks! What a shame more people don't feel free to get in
touch and say what's going wrong for them in an entirely negative way, and
without even looking for constructive assistance. Did I mention I've got
that horrid backache again?