Re: [SLE] critisism toward SuSE 7.2
On Tuesday 07 August 2001 22:56, Craig Sampson wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:40:53 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> >> Don't knock yourself out using immature software unless you love
> >> doing this sort of thing.
> >
> >Using 2.4.7 here... nothing broken. Not my experience at all.
>
> [snip]
>
> >Running VPN here.. works fine.
>
> [snip]
>
> >Not my experience at all.
>
> [snip]
>
> >Hmmm There seems to be a pattern forming here......

> great!
>
> It stands to reason that SuSE surely wouldnt release a product that
> absolutely didnt work on any platform whatsoever :)
>
> My gripe was that the QA on 7.1 and 7.2 was IMHO quite poor.
>
> I've tried installing 7.2 on a variety of machines now ranging from
> 486's through to more recent P3's (but with some legacy hardware
> like ISA netcards). During this testing phase I've yet to be
> convinced the distribution is a reliable stable product.

Systems I have installed 7.2 on:

1) AMD K-6-233 SCSI drives... 96MB 3com card Matrox Video

2) P-166 SCSI drives 64MB Matrox video

3) AMD Athlon 800 512MB Ulta160 SCSI - Matrox 4Gx

4) IBM Thinkpad A20m 128MB ATI rage video 12GB IDE

All were faultless installs for the most part particularly the laptop.

I am a brand new user of SuSE having come from Caldera. I am a totally happy
user. Calera was always a quality product so I think my comparisons are
reasonable.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/07/01 23:12 +
'Ninety percent of everything is crud.' Theodore Sturgeon