Re: [SLE] critisism toward SuSE 7.2
  • From: "Craig Sampson" <craig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 10:56:49 +0800
On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 22:40:53 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:

>> Don't knock yourself out using immature software unless you love
>> doing this sort of thing.
>>

>Using 2.4.7 here... nothing broken. Not my experience at all.

[snip]

>Running VPN here.. works fine.

[snip]

>Not my experience at all.

[snip]

>Hmmm There seems to be a pattern forming here......

great!

It stands to reason that SuSE surely wouldnt release a product that
absolutely didnt work on any platform whatsoever :)

My gripe was that the QA on 7.1 and 7.2 was IMHO quite poor.

I've tried installing 7.2 on a variety of machines now ranging from
486's through to more recent P3's (but with some legacy hardware
like ISA netcards). During this testing phase I've yet to be
convinced the distribution is a reliable stable product.

In most cases it won't install at all from the ftp distro and I've
only had it complete installation once via CD.

Now, of course, this is all due to hardware - you have a system that
works and I'm sure you are happy. I have to support a largely
diverse base of hardware and since SuSE 6.4 the distro has not been
up to the task in my experience.

I want it to work. See another recent post of mine relating to this
very problem and my fight with NE2000 cards.

Regards,
Craig