Re: [SLE] Cups and samba printing
  • From: Graham Smith <gqs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:28:37 +1000 (EST)

---------------------CUT------------------------

> J. Tamminen

Hi Jaakko,

I have had a look at the file you sent me and have placed comments within it,
but it should have worked regardless. I forgot to mention to change your
debug level back to warn otherwise your log files.

I notice you have a firewall. Check that port 631 is not being blocked as
this will cause the problems you are having.

Also when you reinstall cups. Do NOT use YAST2 to configure the printer. I
have had so much trouble with YAST2 and printers.

To configure cups:

1) use the modified /etc/cups/cupsd.conf on the Server.
2) use netscape/Konqueror and localhost:631/admin to add a printer
3) Modify the printer options and try a test page
4) Install cups on the workstation don't touch any of the /etc/cups/* files
5) Wait a few secs
6) use netscape/Konqueror and localhost:631/admin to print a test page

all should be a source of joy.

I've not configured printers on windows to be accessed by linux, so will
leave that to others more experianced.

At work we have 6 linux workstations using cups and it would be one of the
easiest printer servers to administer. Once it works on one workstation it
will work on all, and if you add a new printer anywhere on the network all
other machines will see it. Magic

BTW there is a newer version of cups on the web, (I think SuSE is about 2 or
3 version numbers earlier), but is configured for Redhat and you have to muck
around with the /etc/init.d/ files to get it to run at boot time. I have not
got the URL handy but you will find it using google easy enough.

If you want to try it (I suggest you get the SuSE version working first).
1) Save /etc/init.d/cups to some other directory.
2) Install the new version with YAST
3) You will find it will create a link in /etc/init.d/init.d/cups
4) delete this link and the file it points to.
5) copy the original SuSE cups file back to /etc/init.d
6) run "insserv cups"

Wish you luck

Regards,

Graham Smith