Re: [SLE] critisism toward SuSE 7.2
  • From: Jim Conner <jconner83@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 20:04:35 -0500
Well, you have quite a few good points. Usability is a big issue when it
comes to KDE. The better usability that KDE(and others) have the more
accepted Linux will be in the mainstream desktop area. The more acceptance
Linux has, the more drivers for hardware and better corporate software there
will be. Most of those here either run a dual-boot, vmware or win4lin to use
for a few programs that aren't available or mature enough in Linux. I
suggest to you to get involved to make it better. If you are a coder, join
an existing project. If you aren't, there are other ways to contribute.
Here's just a few. If you know html and style sheets, you can get involved
in KDE Help documentation. If you are fluent in a language other than
english, you can work on translations for any KDE app. If you just want to
make kde more usable, join the kde-usability mailing list and contribute your
comments/opinions/suggestions on what needs to be done and why to make
applications more usable and interact better with each other when needed.
Since my coding skills are antiquated, I decided on this. I just hope I can
do my part to contribute to make KDE and in turn make Linux better. I used
KDE examples, since I use KDE, but I'm sure every destop/wm has similar
projects going on. Find your nitch and help out where you can. Sometimes it
can be hard to find your nitch, just keep looking.
Some of your problems will be addressed in KDE2.2, some in future kernels,
some in future versions of X. LInux is growing by leaps and bounds. I
started using Linux a year and a half ago and have seen tremendous
improvements in all areas. Granted, there are some areas that I'd like to
see more improvements and device support is a big one. But this will come in
time. I think we will see more hardware manufacturers either write linux
drivers or opensource their technology so drivers can be written. Keep an
eye on this in the next year. Linux as a whole will only get better as it
continues it's progress to becomming more mainstream.

Jim

On Tuesday August 07, 2001 10:51 am, Jaakko Tamminen wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm getting bored with SuSE 7.2 and Linux now... here are few reasons
> why...

<snip>