Re: [SLE] Installation Issues
  • From: StarTux <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:49:11 -0700
Ron Joffe wrote:
OK,

First a little background for myself. I have been a long time unix guy, I have set up redhat many times, but this is my first foray into Suse, so here is the issue.

I am trying to install Suse 7.2 via the ftp install.

Everything seems to work just fine and dandy, until I reboot the system. Before that point the install goes great, at the end of the install the system is 100% usable.

But, when I shutdown and reboot, LILO can't find the root partition. It keeps asking for me to add the root= option. But all of the options I have tried have been to no avail.

The system by default seems to install with the following drive configuration:

/dev/sda1 /boot
/dev/sda2 swap
/dev/sda3 /

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Ron

<snip>#

Scsi huh? Wonder if the appropriate module is being loaded...

Not sure if this is documented on the website (both suse.com and portal.suse.com please do check out the portal!), but you have to add the following:

In:

/etc/rc.config

# This variable contains the list of modules to be added to the initial
# ramdisk by calling the script "mk_initrd"
# (like drivers for scsi-controllers, for lvm or reiserfs)
#
INITRD_MODULES="usbcore usb-uhci input hid keybdev mousedev dc395x_trm ide-scsi"

Now add the module for your scsi device (as you can see dc395x_trm is for my SCSI device).

Then run mk_initrd and also to be sure re-run lilo.

That should do it.

Matt