Hard Drive Partitions
  • From: "Watson, Randy" <rwatson@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 20:22:21 -0400
How does one go about deciding how to partition the hard drives?

What size should the different partitions be? Is there a rule of thumb?
How many different partitions do I need? /, /root, /boot, /var, /etc, /usr,
???

Are there any tried and true calculations? Does one decide based on the
primary intended use? (i.e. mail server, ftp server, file server?)

Could someone provide some samples? For instance, I have a 40 gig hard
drive and want to use it for a Mail server and another for DNS. How would
you partition it?

Thanks
Randy