Printing problem with Samba and SuSE 7.2 server solved
Hello

I had this problem, that I could not print with samba to a printer that was
connected to my Linux-server sitting in our LAN and had samba running.

I could see the printer and HDs with smbclient -L //server_name, and also
with xfsamba.

Also we have a win-98 computer in our LAN, and it could not even see the
Linux server in the network neighborhood.

It took me awhile to realise, that the SuSEfirewall that I had installed to
the Linux server (because it has ADSL to internet) was blocking the port 139
also for LAN-access!

Reason for doing this is not really clear for me.. But anyhow, I said in
"FW_SERVICES_INTERNAL_TCP = 139", and it started to work.

Can someone tell me why the port 139 (netbios session service) is blocked by
default for LAN access?

Makes no sence to me... And it made the tracking of this problem quite
difficult...

J. Tamminen

  • No further messages