RE: [SLE] [OT] NTL Cable modem
  • From: "David Bottrill" <david.bottrill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 23:04:42 +0100
Hi Martin

I had NTL cable installed 14 months ago and overall I am very pleased with
it. I use a Linksys router to connect my home network to the cable modem.
Although I would not envisage many problems connecting a SuSe box directly.
SuSE used dhcpd this I believe works OK with NTL, however I read somewhere
else that since NTL have changed their DHCP servers that "pump" no longer
works, although this would not be an issue with SuSE.

On problem to bear in mind is that the cable modem remembers the MAC address
of the first network card to be connected to it, I have tried a number of
methods to clear this down but to no avail. So the first rule is make a note
of your MAC address. I'm not sure how you can overide the MAC address of a
NIC under Linux but this can be easily done on the Linksys router also with
most versions of windoze.

If you intend to run a small home network and you have an old 486PC spare
have a look a www.smoothwall.org smoothwall does the same job as the Linksys
router and a lot better and certainly a lot cheaper.

If someone out there can advise how to overide a NIC's MAC address can they
let me know so I can make a note for future reference.

David Bottrill