Re: [SLE] Very strange hardware problem
  • From: Tazio Ceri <praisetazio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 23:09:47 +0200
david.garnier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I have exactly the same problem with my new box:
Mb Asus A7M266 with the last version of the Bios
512Mb DDR Crucial Registered ECC
Athlon 1Ghz
Video SiS 6326 PCI

Everything else seems irrelevant because the problem appears even with everything else unplugged (and with two different video cards, one PCI, one AGP).

In short, when I turn the box on, it actually boots only one in 3 times (usually). I can reboot it and it works fine. Rock stable (been running Win98 for two weeks without crashing).

One idea: when I turn it on and it doesn't boot, I had to keep pushing the power button for more than 4 seconds to actually turn it off. Pushing the button once doesn't stop it. When it boots normally, the button works OK.
I think it might be a problem with the power management system.

What Bios do you have? I have an Award Bios.

Best regards,
David Garnier

I have an Award too.
I think tomorrow I will check the CPU, then everything else.
I have to keep pushing the power button for more than 4 secs too.
I think it's a feature of the BIOS, I had another MB, with the
same chipset I have now, and with almost the same BIOS and it was
just the same at turning off the PC.
However your situation looks a bit better than mine, as when my
PC is in a bad mood it just does not wake up. But when in a good
mood it starts painlessly.

Thanks for all the advices, I will ask for this to the guy who
sold me this thing too.

Ciao,
Tazio

< Previous Next >