Re: [SLE] Very strange hardware problem
On Tuesday 07 August 2001 14:48, david.garnier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have exactly the same problem with my new box:
> Mb Asus A7M266 with the last version of the Bios
> 512Mb DDR Crucial Registered ECC
> Athlon 1Ghz
> Video SiS 6326 PCI
>
> Everything else seems irrelevant because the problem appears even with
> everything else unplugged (and with two different video cards, one PCI, one
> AGP).
>
> In short, when I turn the box on, it actually boots only one in 3 times
> (usually). I can reboot it and it works fine. Rock stable (been running
> Win98 for two weeks without crashing).
>
> One idea: when I turn it on and it doesn't boot, I had to keep pushing the
> power button for more than 4 seconds to actually turn it off. Pushing the
> button once doesn't stop it. When it boots normally, the button works OK.
> I think it might be a problem with the power management system.
>
> What Bios do you have? I have an Award Bios.

You might try putting 'noapic' and 'apm=off' in your append line. I had
one machine that wouldn't boot until those were supplied. Some cpu's don't
handle power mgmt well.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/07/01 14:53 +
"The trouble with the profit system has always been that it was highly
unprofitable
to most people." - E. B. White

< Previous Next >