VMWare / vmware-mount.pl
  • From: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:54:43 +0100 (BST)
Folks,

You VMWare users may or may not be aware of

/usr/bin/vmware-mount.pl

which allows you to mount a VMWare virtual disk on
a specified mount point in your Linux filesystem
(you can only do this when the virtual machine is not
running).

E.g.

vmware-mount .pl /home/xxx/vmware/win98/win98.dsk 1 -t vfat -o ro /mnt

will mount partition 1 of the primary Win98 virtual disk on /mnt
in read-only mode. So you can easily copy stuff down etc.

"-o rw" makes it read-write mode, and I can write files to it
and verify that the have the same size, and use 'cmp' to check that
they seem to be identical, etc.

However, suppose one such file is a Word document, "file.doc".

When I start up Win98 in VMWare, it's there. But when I try
to open in it Word, I get an error:

"Word failed reading from this file (...). Please restore
the network connection or replace the floppy disk and
retry"

and then, after "Cancel":

"Word has lost data due to a bad network connection or missing
floppy. .... "

Any ideas?

With thanks,
Ted.