Re: [SLE] critisism toward SuSE 7.2
  • From: Ken Hughes <kenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 09:46:39 -0700 (PDT)
Today, Aug 7, daniel quinn wrote:

> my biggest issue with linux
> and especially suse
> is that there are about 5 or 6 tools for each task
> kde has too many mp3 players for my liking
> in order to write an html program,
> i'm looking at a choice of 10+ text editors
> each with their own personal set of bugs

I've always felt that offering choices like this was a Good Thing! Just
because there are dozens of MP3 players out there doesn't mean you have to
use them all! That's like going to buy a car and complaining that there
are too many types of cars to choose from...

> brian's right
> linux is maturing - rather fast really
> but if it's going to be successful
> they should establish some sort of structure
> as far as dominance goes.
> that way more developers will be able to focus on one program
> and develop that into a single powerful tool
> we could say, preserve vi and quanta
> one for quick command line editing
> the other for webdev
> but wading through a mess of badly organised
> and buggy programs is not what end users want

I agree almost totally! There really should be some organized structure to
Linux to make developing for Linux easier. You should be able to write a
program once for Linux and not have folks tweaking things to make it run
on Red Hat, and tweaking more things to make it run on SuSE.

> ...or am i wrong?

Nope! Opinions are never wrong...

Ken

--