Re: [SLE] How to X-Term onto another X-Server ?
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 07 Aug 2001 17:39:23 +0200
Raymond Fung <raymondf@xxxxxxx> writes:

> Can anyone please tell me how can I x-term from one machine onto
> another running X-Server ?

I've never heard about "x-term-ing onto a machine" so don't be
surprised when people don't understand what you want to do.

> I have several Linux boxes in the Office, but can only telnet to
> each other using character mode connection.

You can start a remote X application (e.g. emacs) on the machine
hostname by

$ ssh -X -f hostname emacs

Is it what you mean? If yes, see the "Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO"
(It's part of SuSE help system)

> I know it is possible to use a Linux box as a X-Terminal and access
> another Linux box running X-Server,

It's something different. In this case, you have to open an XDM
session, e.g.

$ X -query hostname

For more details see "XDM and X Terminal mini-HOWTO" (again, it's in
the SuSE help system). Also see
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/mfrueh_remotexdm.html

--
Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx