critisism toward SuSE 7.2
Hi all

I'm getting bored with SuSE 7.2 and Linux now... here are few reasons why...

It all started when samba did not work with my LAN. There is nothing special
about my LAN.

I have a linux-box as a firewall and printing server. It is connected with
ADSL to internet.

Then I have a linux workstation.

Then there is win-98 machine too..

1)
The linux-box does not work properly with 2.4.5-4G kernel.. The line keeps
coming down randomly..

No help whatsoever.. No manuals tells anything about this kind of problem. No
log reveils even where to look for!

Went back to kernel 2.2.19, but then I loose the VPN stuff, and that was the
reason in the first place for me to get SuSE 7.2.

Now it is useless, waste of money...

There seems to be NO way to build a desent VPN with 2.2.xx kernel because
lack of TUN/TAP devices, and unable to reach beond a NAT... crap!

And I simply don't want to compile a custom kernel for that, start patching
and stuff.. it is just too much!

I want the VPN up now, and not spending a week worth of hours just to make
custom system, that after crash is close to impossible to repeat...

With M$ it is a very simple task!

2)
I can not find any solution to read my digital camera FLAS-card with the
USB-reader that came with it. It has been on the market for close to 2 year
now.. Where is the driver??.

3)
I can not use vmware, because it is so slow.. I have tried every possible
setup that a human can imagine, but it is just too slow.. There is no way
that I can install Linux to spouses machine, because she needs a
win-bookkeeping software in her work.

3)
Linux sound-card support sucks badly! I had to go and buy one that suits
Linux.

4)
Multimedia sucks too! Why can't I just click on the file, and it woudl then
bring up the screen and show it to me...?

Always some upgrading and patching and compiling and trying to find the SW if
there is any.. no way!

And in the end there is not support for quite common formats at all!

5)
Same thing with network cards.. I had several 3c509 cards around, but I was
not able to make them work reliable. Only 2 of them did work, rest did not..
So I had to go out and buy stuff again...

6)
Display cards.. I had to buy an old Matrox G-200 from a friend of mine,
because Linux did not have desent support for 3d-accelerated card that I had.

7)
Why are the logs keep filling with all sort of weird and non-important stuff
all the time.. there is almost no way to stop them, except sitting here night
after night playing around with setups.. no way!

8)
My x-server keeps also giving me these errors all the time.. It works, but
still it is so annoying when I stop x-server to see screenfulls of weird
warnings and error-messages.

9)
When installing / removing software with zast or zast2, it keeps complaining
about depencies, and I must keep on clicking and clicking like in M$.. so why
bother.

10)
Fonts in graphical UI... horrible!! How can it be so difficult to find where
to adjust those (if one can find them at all)???

11)
Lack of common "look-and-feel" in GUi.. Everyone can see that.. Okay, I admit
that konqueror did bring things much closer to usability, but still....

And the list goes on and on...

Then good thing about Linux is that it keeps doing this day after day without
ever crashing... What a comfort...

It would be so easy solution to take a win out-of-the-box, and start doing
stuff.. spend much less money to few SW that makes it secure, and live
happily....

This SuSE and LInux thing are really getting me pissed off.. At first I
thought this is very nice thing.. I did programming, build some HW and was
able to make that work under Linux easily etc..

And when running plain text-mode, it seems to work nicely...

But now when I'm getting closer to really start working with LInux, it show
up not to be what I expected it to be... sad but true. It seems to be a toy
for people that don't need to be productive... ?

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but this is the situation... Linux sucks, and
perhaps I go back to M$ world, because it is so easy to set up and maintain
when comparing to Linux...

J. Tamminen

< Previous Next >