Re: [SLE] Code red mk2-and a few articles
  • From: Tazio Ceri <praisetazio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 15:31:15 +0200
John D Lamb wrote:

Sounds a bit doubtful to me. As I recall "virus" is a straight second
declension noun from the Greek virios and so should be viri in plural
unless it's irregular like locus. "Viruses" is easier for people who
don't speak English (vel possunt latine loquere). And then there are the
words that don't change from us to i:
bus, callus, nexus, conspectus, genus, plus, bonus, prospectus, caucus,
apparatus, plexus, octopus,...

JDL

Yes, Virus comes from ancient greek, and like many
greek words imported by latin it is very irregular.
That's why virii is the correct plural form.

Ciao,
Tazio

< Previous Next >