Fwd: Re: [SLE] Problem with pppd
  • From: "Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D." <smolnar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:07:12 -0400
Thanks for the reply, you were the only one so far. I'm cross-posting this message to the KDE and SuSE lists in the hope that someone out there has insights/solutions to this problem.

I think that your suggestion that the problem lies with the kernel has merit. Before I go into this mornings attempts with the kernel, let me throw something else into the stew. Minicom works, both on the console and in a console window in KDE (I'm using 2.2b1). It dials in, it handshakes, it lets me log on and stays up until I tell minicom to hang up. Does this argur for, or against, a kernel problem? I don't have the faintest idea.

Now as to my attempts with the 2.4.o kernel this morning. I ripped out the kernel source tree and reinstalled a pristine copy from the CD. Make mrproper cleaned up the tree. When I ran make xconfig I accepted every default, with the exception of PPP support, the driver for my National Semiconductor ethernet card, and vfat and smb support. I then compiled and booted with bzImage.

Didn't change anything. Here is the wvdial log:

Script started on Thu Aug 2 09:01:35 2001
AbNormal:~ # wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: ATM1L1
ATM1L1
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Dialing jadeinc.com .
--> Sending: ATDT2211119
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT2211119
CONNECT 50666 V42bis
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
Jade Inc.
Username:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: smolnar
smolnar
Password:
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
pleiades-alpha%
--> Hmm... a prompt. Sending "ppp".
ppp
Entering PPP Mode.
IP address is 209.57.24.251
MTU is 1524.
--> Looks like a welcome message.
--> Starting pppd at Thu Aug 2 09:02:13 2001
--> pid of pppd: 26327
--> Disconnecting at Thu Aug 2 09:02:13 2001
--> The PPP daemon has died: Fatal pppd error (exit code = 1)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> Try again and look into /var/log/messages and the wvdial and pppd
--> man pages for more information.
AbNormal:~ #
Script done on Thu Aug 2 09:02:23 2001

Have you made any progress?