Re: [SLE] Graphical boot vs screensavers vs energy savers
  • From: Steven Hatfield <ashari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:00:25 -0400
On Wednesday 01 August 2001 11:22 am, Fergus Wilde wrote:
> More expert people can correct me, but is it not the case that most *nix
> file systems hate having the power fail? Having to fsck the partitions is
> not a surprise, and I would guess you might see other problems, too, if you
> keep losing the power.
>
> Maybe a small UPS?

Actually, aside from also adding a small UPS box (just enough to handle power
blips and <15 Minute outages), you should also consider running ReiserFS. As
RFS is a journaling filesystem, the whole "fsck" thing becomes unnecessary.
When my nVidia drivers were locking up my machine on a daily basis, ReiserFS
didn't even blink.. it would start back up and run perfectly... I'd see
messages like "17 transactions posted in 4 seconds". That was the extent of
recovery of the filesystem! I was so impressed, I now take time out of my
busy day to let people know how cool RFS is ;^)

As for your screen blanking during bootup.. well.. that's pretty strange,
but I can see it happening like this:
1) System boots up
2) OS establishes power saving features
3) FSCK takes 400 years to run
4) During FSCK, OS saves power by shutting off monitor
5) For whatever reason, pressing the space bar doesn't unblank screen, and
you are fsck'd yourself :-/

You might want to disable power saving, just to see if it is this that is
causing the problem. The best fix though is to upgrade to newer technology --
ie. ReiserFS, and forego that long bootup after a power outage.

Good luck!

Have a great day!
-Steven