Getting the 7.2 Splash Screen in 7.1: Success! (was Re: [SLE] Patching the Kernel)
  • From: Timothy R.Butler <tbutler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 18:29:17 -0500

> > Use the source Luke :-)
> >
> > The source of the SuSE kernel is there, and it should be easy to dig it
> > out. I would assume it is not that big even.
>
> Actually they are in ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mantel/next
>
> Even easier :-)

Hey, thanks Mads! That worked great - I just downloaded the RPM from that
FTP directory, installed it, and now I have that great new boot splash
screen! :-)
BTW, I believe the screenshot of the boot screen appeared to have different
fonts used for displaying system messages than mine does. Is there any
settings I may need to change to set the tty1 font to the same thing as in
7.2?
Thanks again for your help!

In case anyone else wants it, here are the steps I took:

- Downloaded k_deflt-2.4.7-3.i386.rpm from the rpm directory of the FTP
address above.
- Edited /etc/rc.config's INITRD_MODULES to equal "usbcore reiserfs".
CAUTION: ONLY USE A SPACE BETWEEN USBCORE AND REISERFS - USING A COMMA WILL
CAUSE A KERNEL PANIC ON REBOOT (that's what happened to me).

- Edited vga to equal 771 in /etc/lilo.conf .

- Ran "mk_initrd && lilo" .

- Rebooted and enjoyed the much nicer startup screen and new 2.4.7 Kernel.
:-)

Best,
Tim

Timothy R. Butler Universal Networks