Re: [SLE] 7.2 Install successful, but every boot fails.
  • From: James Oakley <joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:52:38 -0300

On August 2, 2001 01:01 am, Argentium G. Tiger wrote:

> Hrm... tried that, no luck. I think it has something to do with a missing
> /var/lib/modules matching set of modules for the kernel I installed (SMP
> 2.4 based).

I just did my first 7.2 install and formatted the root partition as reiserfs,
like I usually do. I ended up having the same problem. I have an ext2 /boot
partition for kernels.

Imagine my horror when I found that reiserfs was *not* compiled into SuSE's
default kernels. It was compiled as a module.

*arrgh*

7.2 didn't even set up an initrd so that I could boot. I ended up booting
from a boot disk, and recompiling my kernel with reiserfs enabled.

I wonder why, all of a sudden, SuSE decided to remove reiser?

- --
James Oakley
Engineering - SolutionInc Ltd.
joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx