Re: [SLE] Printing tiff files?
  • From: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 08:57:45 +0100 (BST)
On 02-Aug-01 Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> Alexandr,
>
> Thanks. That got me over the first hurdle. Now I have over 500
> individual postscript files which I would like to be able to print in
> such a way as to form a book consisting of sections of ten sheet
> each. I attempted to use psmerge to join the individual postscrip
> files into larger postscrip files. That didn't seem to work.

Hmmm. It looks as though 'psmerge' doesn't work at all (at any rate
not as described in "man psmerge"): just tried it with a few diffferent
combinations of PS files, and all I got as output was the PS prologue,
but no content.

> Is there a way to format a spool file so that two postscript file
> will be printed on the same face and in landscape orientation?
>
> When I already have my document in a postscript file I typically use
> psbook and psnup, but I don't think these will do any good in this
> situation. Just to be clear. I have a postscript file for each page.
> These were created by using convert on the tiff files.

Assuming your per-page PS files are valid EPS (Encapsulated PS) files,
which they probably are (they only need a %%BoundingBox line inside)[*],
then the following (which is a bit of a sledgehammer for this nut -- pity
psmerge is a duffer) should work.

1. Prepare a text file (e.g. "format.tr") with the following content
(this is for A4 paper; for e.g. letter paper change the dimensions in
".landscape_metrics" --
.pl = "page length" which in landscape = width of sheet of paper = 8i
in letter,
PO = page offset (blank left margin) -- reduce this at least to 1i
for letter,
LL = line length ; maybe reduce this to 9.0i in letter):

.de landscape_metrics
.pl 8.142i
.nr PO 1.195i
.nr LL 9.5i
.lt \\n[LL]u
.nr LT \\n[LL]u
..
.landscape_metrics
.2C
.PSPIC page_1.ps 4.0i
.PSPIC page_2.ps 4.0i
.bp
.PSPIC page_4.ps 4.0i
.PSPIC page_5.ps 4.0i
.bp

and so on, until you have entered all the pages you want for one
bundle.(By the way, the 4.0i may also be a bit wide for letter;
it's OK for A4 though; try reducing it if you only get 1 original
page per output page). Also try tweaking other metrics to get a
more satisfactory layout.

Then, with this text file in the same directory as your page_*.ps
files, run

groff -Tps -P-l -ms format.tr > bundle_1.ps

(where the "l" in -P-l is a lower case letter "ell") and you should
have your first bundle of pages, 2-up, and landscape.

In principle it is easy to set up a shell script to do this for all
your 500 pages. For each bundle, you feed the script the name of the
output "bundle_N.ps" and the list of original pages page_n1.ps ...
page_nk.ps for that bundle, and it should "echo" the header (down to .2C)
"> format.tr", then echo "> format.tr" the succeeding lines until the
list of original pages for the bundle is exhausted. Then it runs
the 'groff' command as above with "> bundle_N.ps".

Try it first on say 4 original pages until you get it right.

[*] If there are problems with the PS files converted from tiff
not being good EPS files, try using 'convert' to output to page_*.eps
instead of to page_*.ps -- that should force it.

(From my experience with PS files converted from tiff, your output
files may be huge: hopefully your printer won't choke. You should
be able to at least view them in 'gv' though).

Good luck,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972