Re: [SLE] NIC trouble...quickly reaching the last straw with Suse
On Wednesday 01 August 2001 13:30, StarTux wrote:
> Ron Sinclair wrote:
> > My Suse experience is now turning uglier.
> >
> > I'd had problems with sound in Suse 7.1 until very recently. I never did
> > find out where the problem was...I just ended up doing a whole
> > reinstallation. After that installation, the sound still had to be
> > configured but after I configured it, I had the sound working for the
> > first time in a LONG time. Let's hope it stays that way.
> >
> > Anyways, now I'm having NIC problems. I'm using two NICs for this
> > two-system local LAN: Netgear FA310TX and a Japanese card that
> > supposedly uses the VIA Rhine module. System 1 has the Netgear NIC and
> > System 2 has the VIA card.
> >
> > Before I did the reinstall (on System 1) I was using two NICs on this
> > system (one Netgear and one VIA-chipped). I could only use the Netgear
> > in Linux because Windows 98 wouldn't configure this card. I relied on
> > the VIA card for network use in Windows. This meant I had to swap the
> > CAT5 cable everytime I went from one OS to another.
> >
> > System 2 uses only one NIC, the Netgear one. This system dualboots
> > Windows 98 and Suse 7.1. This is the way System 1 is SUPPOSED to run,
> > but I don't know why W98 doesn't like the Netgear NIC. I swear, it works
> > in one OS but not the other.
> >
> > So, what I did was take out System 1's Netgear NIC and replace it with
> > the VIA one. Before I reinstalled Suse 7.1 on System 1, I could network
> > fine, but now that I'm using the VIA, I keep getting these messages in
> > Suse's console window:
> >
> > Aug 1 17:03:32 500mhz kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0a.0
> > Aug 1 17:03:48 500mhz kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0000, PHY
> > status 0000, resetting...
> > Aug 1 17:04:20 500mhz last message repeated 8 times
> > Aug 1 17:05:24 500mhz last message repeated 16 times
> > Aug 1 17:06:28 500mhz last message repeated 16 times
> > Aug 1 17:07:32 500mhz last message repeated 16 times
> > Aug 1 17:08:33 500mhz last message repeated 13 times
> >
> > It's filling up my logs bigtime. The only way to get the logging to stop
> > is to remove the via-rhine module from /etc/modules.conf.
> >
> > Here's what ifconfig says:
> >
> > root@500mhz:/home/ron > ifconfig
> > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
> > inet addr:192.168.2.10 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> > inet6 addr: fe80::/10 Scope:Link
> > inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/10 Scope:Link
> > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> > RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > TX packets:0 errors:586 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
> > Interrupt:9 Base address:0xe800
> >
> > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> > inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16080 Metric:1
> > RX packets:120 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> > TX packets:120 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> >
> > So....let's see....Windows on System 1 doesn't like the Netgear NIC and
> [...]

I think it might be the cable also... Something is strange because I have
about 4 machines with FA310TX's running both linux and windows (at various
times). Never had a problem configuring that card on either Win or Linux.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 08/01/01 14:51 +
"Never criticize someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes. That
way, when you criticize them, you will be a mile away and have their shoes."