Re: [SLE] NIC trouble...quickly reaching the last straw with Suse
  • From: StarTux <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 10:30:01 -0700
Ron Sinclair wrote:

My Suse experience is now turning uglier.

I'd had problems with sound in Suse 7.1 until very recently. I never did
find out where the problem was...I just ended up doing a whole
reinstallation. After that installation, the sound still had to be
configured but after I configured it, I had the sound working for the first
time in a LONG time. Let's hope it stays that way.

Anyways, now I'm having NIC problems. I'm using two NICs for this two-system
local LAN: Netgear FA310TX and a Japanese card that supposedly uses the VIA
Rhine module. System 1 has the Netgear NIC and System 2 has the VIA card.

Before I did the reinstall (on System 1) I was using two NICs on this system
(one Netgear and one VIA-chipped). I could only use the Netgear in Linux
because Windows 98 wouldn't configure this card. I relied on the VIA card
for network use in Windows. This meant I had to swap the CAT5 cable
everytime I went from one OS to another.

System 2 uses only one NIC, the Netgear one. This system dualboots Windows
98 and Suse 7.1. This is the way System 1 is SUPPOSED to run, but I don't
know why W98 doesn't like the Netgear NIC. I swear, it works in one OS but
not the other.

So, what I did was take out System 1's Netgear NIC and replace it with the
VIA one. Before I reinstalled Suse 7.1 on System 1, I could network fine,
but now that I'm using the VIA, I keep getting these messages in Suse's
console window:

Aug 1 17:03:32 500mhz kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:0a.0
Aug 1 17:03:48 500mhz kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0000, PHY
status 0000, resetting...
Aug 1 17:04:20 500mhz last message repeated 8 times
Aug 1 17:05:24 500mhz last message repeated 16 times
Aug 1 17:06:28 500mhz last message repeated 16 times
Aug 1 17:07:32 500mhz last message repeated 16 times
Aug 1 17:08:33 500mhz last message repeated 13 times

It's filling up my logs bigtime. The only way to get the logging to stop is
to remove the via-rhine module from /etc/modules.conf.

Here's what ifconfig says:

root@500mhz:/home/ron > ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet addr:192.168.2.10 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::/10 Scope:Link
inet6 addr: fe80::200:ff:fe00:0/10 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
Interrupt:9 Base address:0xe800

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16080 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

So....let's see....Windows on System 1 doesn't like the Netgear NIC and
Linux
doesn't seem to like the VIA one, yet the Netgear works on this system's
Linux and the VIA works on this system's Windows. Since this is the case,
I'm doubting there's any problems with the CAT5 cables or the NICs
themselves. This has to be a software problem or I'm seriously doing
something wrong when configuring these NICs.

The VIA in System 1 was working fine with Linux initially. I can ping
theloopback and the host's IP fine. When I try to ping the other networked
computer, I get this message:

root@500mhz:/home/ron > ping 400mhz
PING 400mhz.zama.com (192.168.2.20): 56 data bytes

It then does nothing...like it's locked or waiting for the other system to
reply.

If I go to the other system and try the same thing, the exact same thing
happens (both are running Suse 7.1).

I'm at a loss here and after weeks of reading up and triple checking to make
sure I've not forgotten anything, I'm again burned out with Suse. This is
crazy.

Sorry for the long post but I couldn't seek helpl without giving
specifics...

HELP!

---
Ron Sinclair aka NipponDSM
http://members.tripod.com/~WIGGLIT
http://www.wigglit.com

Last tiume I got errors like that, it was the cable. Cables are pretty cheap, try a new one. May or may not be the issue, but its one to get out the way.

Matt