Re: [SLE] Hard disk performance / hdparm placement
  • From: Alexandr Malusek <Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 01 Jun 2001 00:57:33 +0200
Mark Hounschell <markh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> "Mark W. Knecht" wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > On other Linux distributions I've used hdparm successfully to increase
> > hard disk speed:
> >
> > hdparm -u 1 -d 1 /dev/hda
>
> If your are using SuSE 7.1 (which comforms to the LSB) then
> /etc/init.d/boot.local
> would be the place.

I don't disagree, but despite of that I think the following should be
discussed:

The problem with hdparm in /etc/init.d/boot.local or
/etc/init.d/rc5.d/S01idedma (the YaST2 way) is that the setting
"using_dma" is done after sometimes longlasting fsck.

I tested putting "hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda" in the beginning of
/etc/init.d/boot on my home computer with a slow disk. The total fsck
time on 7 and 5 GB partitions was reduced from 2:55 to 2:14 (23%). It
wasn't much, but I expect bigger difference on my computer at work
(faster disks, 90 GB).

Is there any reason why hdparm is run after fsck during the booting
process? (Especially when hdparm settings have been proven to be
safe.)

--
Alexandr.Malusek@xxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >