Re: [SLE] [OT] MS Office (XP): the sad truth
On Thursday 31 May 2001 03:14 pm, Internet Niue wrote:
> > Please don't get me wrong. I lament this state of affairs
> > as much as anyone here. The only solution I can see is a
> > new antitrust action that would force Microsoft to publish
> > its data formats for all Office products 90 days before
> > releasing any new ones and would explicitly permit anyone
> > else to use them.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Hey Paul,
>
> The other approach might be that Linux needs to have a split in it's
> users....so that there is a community of gurus who do servers and all kinds
> of whacky stuff......and then a separate community of Linux users who are
> desktop users.
>
> I'm not suggesting a *division* really, but more of a way to allow new
> users who just want to be desktop users, a different community to build and
> learn and gear the hardware and installations toward that end.
>
> In my opinion, the only way Linux is going to get strong enough to hold
> itself together against MS is that it needs millions and millions more
> desktop users.
>
> We already have the guru community. But the sad fact is, the guru community
> is not the preponderance of the user out there, and most of the time the
> guru isn't who makes the decision to form a standard. People who sit around
> polished tables do that. And as long as they keep putting things like:
>
> "The document standard for [corporation name] until further notice will be
> Microsoft Word format".
>
> Uh, well. That's the way it's gonna go.
>
> (that's an actual standards quote from a giant corporation in San
> Jose-who's name I won't mention because you would all know it).
>
> But if linux got so easy to install and use [for the desktop user] that the
> guys sitting around the polished table were running linux in their laptops
> and on their desks, then it would all turn around.
>
> I think it's getting there. But just for the sake of discussion and
> comment, and thinking about it, I just thought I would throw that out
> there.

I'm going to take something that you said here, and shine some light on it.

<SHINE>
> But if linux got so easy to install and use [for the desktop user] that the
> guys sitting around the polished table were running linux in their laptops
> and on their desks, then it would all turn around.
</SHINE>

Yep, that's what I thought you said.

So let's bring this a little further out... why is "Microsoft Word" the
standard? Because "everybody" runs it.

Well, what happens when not "everybody" is running Word anymore? Maybe a new
standard will emerge. Maybe Star[Open] Office's Star Writer or KWord's format
will emerge as the "standard", once a ton more people are using Linux.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing that happen :-)

Have a great day!
-Steven

< Previous Next >