Setting up a CD-RW after the fact
  • From: wilson@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Wilson)
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:20:30 -0500
Howdy,

Just a quick question: I've got a IDE CD-RW I'd like to install onto my (already installed) SuSE 7.1 system, and when I started poking around for documentation, it looks like maybe the only way to burn a CD is to set up ide-scsi emulation. This rather surprises me: cant' the apps, or the kernel for that matter, just recognize an IDE burner?

Bummer if not. This is the sort of thing that keeps newbies away from Linux :-\

Anyway, just wanted to make sure I wasn't heading off on the wrong track before I dig into setting up SCSI emulation.

This reminds me: one thing YaST2 really lacks is tools for installing hardware after the install. NICs, printers video and sound cards are about the only thing you can set up with YaST2 post-install. I wish SuSE would put a good bit of work into that. Especially for things like Removable media - LS120s, Zips, CD burners.

P.S. What apps do y'all like best? KOnCd and kreatecd look like the best ones.

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com