Sun Java Station 1 ??? Will it work with SUSE
  • From: Shane A Broomhall <shanebroomhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 17:30:46 +1000
Hi All,

I am like most keen to experiment and play with making hardware and software
work with Linux. I have found a person that has a couple of Sun Javastation
1 devices. I was wondering if it is possible to have these devices work with
SUSE Linux. I am planning on building a home network with Sun Sparc based
servers and Intel desktops.

I think that these machines need to download their Java based applicaitons
from a server to be able to work. Can this be done with SUSE ??

Does any one know of a source for Java applications covered by the GPL ??

Can this be done with any other version of Linux ?? Or will I have to use
Solaris ???

I would also appreciate any guideance for the Specs i might need to have for
a Sparc box to happily run SUSE for a less than 5 user network. I am familiar
with Intel boxes and I just want to play with Sparc. I am planning on going
the full hog and having Apache, Samba, NIS, NFS, Email, and a SQL database,
and I will probably want to run them on separate boxes.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
--

Shane Broomhall
Brisbane Australia