Re: [SLE] NVIDIA drivers (again!) and unresolved symbols
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:30:59 -0400
Mark Hounschell wrote:

> Ben Rosenberg wrote:
> >
> > * Paul Abrahams (abrahams@xxxxxxx) [010530 12:50]:
> > ->Mark Hounschell wrote:
> > ->
> > ->> It looks like the same as you. After bootup all is ok but after exiting
> > ->> and logging
> > ->> backin [Alt-CTL-Fn] do not work and ALT-CTL-F7 gets me back ok. But since I
> > ->> never do that
> > ->> anyway it doesn't bother me. Once in kde all works great. If I need a
> > ->> term I open
> > ->> konsole. I have never had a need to use the ALT-CTL-Fx from within kde
> > ->> or the kdm
> > ->> prompt. Oh well, you know what the doctor says, if it hurts don't do it.
> > ->
> > ->It's always useful to know that the misbehavior isn't peculiar to my system. We have a
> > ->real, genuine, certified bug here.
> >
> > Solution:
> >
> > 1. Get kernel 2.4.4's RPM /pub/people/mantel/next/RPM
> > A. Install this.
> > 2. Get kernel 2.4.4's tar.gz /pub/people/mantel/next
> > 3. Unzip the tar.gz kernel src in /usr/src and replace the link so that
> > it points to the new src.
> > 4. Get the tar.gz files of the nVidia driver and GLX.
> > 5. mv them to /usr/src and untar them.
> > 6. cd into the kernel module directory and make the module
> > 7. Do the make install for the GLX.
> > 8. Search the archives for the modified switch2nv_glx and use this.
> > 9. It will work. I have NO problems ..with or without KDM.
> >
> > Unresolved symbols stem from a mismatch of src. If you don't have the
> > same src that your compiling the module against as your running kernel
> > is using..then the module will be hella fucked up and won't work. These
> > drivers work. The kernel works. Doing it right makes it work.
> >
> > Last 0.02
> > --
> > Ben Rosenberg
> > mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx
> > -----
> > If two men agree on everything, you can
> > be sure that only one of them is doing
> > the thinking.
> >
> The unresolved symbols problem has been fixed. Read the thread closer.
> We are
> now only having problems with the use of a cleanly built/installed
> driver. Your
> solution will do nothing to fix this other problem that we are having
> with it.
> Although I've been meaning to try that particular kernel for other
> reasons.
> We'll see. But our problem now is not an unresolved symbol problem. It's
> something
> else that appears just to be the driver it's self.

Ben: since Mark and I have observed the same thing, I'd be interested in having you also try
our experiment: start up kdm, log in, log out, log in again, and try to switch to another
virtual terminal with Ctl-Alt-F2. What happens?

What is the function of switch2nv_glx? How would one undo its effect?

Paul

< Previous Next >