Re: banner - Unix command
  • From: "S.Toms" <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:12:18 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 30 May 2001, Leah Cunningham wrote:

lc> The banner command is found included in the bsdgames package in the
lc> 'fun' section of packages. It is a little different from the
lc> Solaris version. If you install the 'games' selection of software
lc> you will get this program, or you can manually make sure that
lc> bsdgames is installed.
lc>

Take a look at the figlet package, also within the fun section. Not sure
how extensive banner is, but I recall using figlet to create a wide array
of signature styles like below.

lc> Martin Mielke (martinm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [010530 03:49]:
lc> - > Hello,
lc> - >
lc> - > > Does anybody know how can i use the command "banner" ?
lc> - >
lc> - > martinm@hips-12:45:16-~ > banner hello
lc> - >
lc> - > # # ###### # # ####
lc> - > # # # # # # #
lc> - > ###### ##### # # # #
lc> - > # # # # # # #
lc> - > # # # # # # #
lc> - > # # ###### ###### ###### ####
lc> - >
lc> - > This command was issued under Solaris but I'm not pretty sure if it also
lc> - > exists for Linux... :-?
lc> - >
lc> - >
lc>