Re: [SLE] NVIDIA drivers (again!) and unresolved symbols
  • From: Mark Hounschell <markh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:10:25 -0400
Paul Abrahams wrote:

> An update: recompiling the kernel with the correct processor type made the error
> message go away. I can now use the NVidia drivers again. But the problem with
> them remains: after one iteration through kdm, the virtual terminals (Alt-Ctl-F2,
> etc.) no longer work.
>
> Paul

What do you mean "after one iteration through kdm". Have you looked at
the stuff
in your kernel config that I suggested. The agp stuff in particular.
Unless you
have a supported chip set in there you should disable all of it. Also
framebuffer
support (which is in the console drivers section). It's what gives you
the little
penguin in the top left corner when you boot up? That screwed me up
good. My
symptoms were I think similar in that from the kdm login screen any
(Alt-Ctl-fx)
or reboot or shutdown from there would hang my system and I would have
to hit
the reset switch. After removing framebuffer support in my kernel and
unchecking
the agp stuff that didn't apply to my system I was then able to do the
above.
Note: Even though I was able to do those things (reboot/shutdown) from
the kdm
login screen then, my screen is still black while it is happening. My
only
indication it's rebooting/shutting down is the disk activity light. I
know, these
nvidia drivers can be a real pain in the A. Sure would be nice if they
would
turn them loose.

Regards
Mark