Re: [SLE] Win4Lin vs VMware
  • From: Jeffrey Taylor <jeff.taylor@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:29:16 -0500
Quoting Steven Hatfield <ashari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
[snip]
> VMWare doesn't require kernel mods, and will run several different
> x86 based OS's, including all versions of Windows, BeOS, Linux, and
> BSD. Probably some others that I can't think of right off of the top
> of my head. It is also much slower than Win4Lin is, running at
> roughly 1/2 of your native processor speed.

VMware runs at near native speed, if you have enough memory, at least
256MB. I now have 384MB and can run Win98 and FreeBSD 4.2 at the same
time from within Linux. Starting both at the same time often leads to
the virtual machines crashing. At 128MB memory, I had to train myself
to push a button and wait until I saw it depress before releasing the
mouse button. With more memory, no such problem.

It was really impressive to just pop the FreeBSD CD-ROM into the drive
and watch it boot and install without a hitch.

Jeffrey

--
I don't do Windows and I don't come to work before nine.
-- Johnny Paycheck

< Previous Next >