Re: [SLE] New domain just registered for.....plz read
  • From: James Oakley <joakley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 11:21:50 -0300

On May 30, 2001 03:50 am, Alan Lenton wrote:
> Nice idea. One useful thing would be a 'testing' service. A lot of people
> don't use linux on the desktop, and so have no means of checking
> themselves. (My own company falls into this category, we use linux servers,
> but not the desktop yet)
>
> I'm sure there are people around who would like to ask for their site to be
> checked by someone with linux browsers so they could make any changes
> necessary.

I think that's a great idea. I'd like to see a user system. Companies can add
their sites to the database and users can review them with their browser of
choice. Users can get points (not actually worth anything) for providing good
reviews of new sites in the database.

The companies would be likely to add their sites as they're getting that much
extra traffic on their sites.

An RDF interface would be neat, too. I read Slashdot's main page, then go to
the boxes I configured. Going directly to various sites is something I rarely
do.

If you're really ambitious (I would help out with all of this, if you wanted,
BTW) you could have an XMLRPC site-query system. Then you can embed the
functionality into a browser, say Konqueror. If I'm having trouble with a
site, I can select a menu option that brings up info on that site regarding
compatibility, workarounds for specific problems, etc. Or how about a glowing
"supported" icon. Kind of a mood ring for browsers that glows brighter and
more colourful as you're browsing better sites. That would tie in to the
gold, silver, bronze thing.

- --
James Oakley
Engineering - SolutionInc Ltd.