Anyone tried IBM VA Smalltalk Preview under SuSE ?
Has anyone here tried the IBM VisualAge Smalltalk Linux preview under any
SuSE version ?

I'm running SuSE 7.0 kernel 2.2.19 and all the latest patches and updates.
I'm having problems with the image crashing for no apparent reason,
usually when trying to add new apps or parts to the library. I program IBM
VA Smalltalk for a living under Winblows and I'm VERY excited about the
release of this product for Linux. I know there'll be bugs as it is just a
preview but I was just wondering if anyone else had it running under
SuSE. If everyone gets the same behaviour then a bug report can be filed
to IBM.

For those of you who don't know about Smalltalk then I recommend you try
it. It's the best language going (but I am rather biased), plus IBM's
Smalltalk blows VisualWorks Smalltalk out of the water. (Yes I KNOW it's
not free like Squeak Smalltalk but it is incredibly good)

You can download the preview at
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/ad/smalltalk/

Cheers,

Sean.

PS. I know you guys at SuSE have contacts within IBM. Perhaps you could
contact them and persuade then to actively support SuSE with this product
as well as Redhat.

  • No further messages