reverse dns
  • From: "S.Toms" <smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 11:40:39 -0700 (PDT)
Ok, I'm confused now, I've spent the better part of the weekend trying
to figure this out on my own, howto's, manpages, mailing lists and other
sites. As near as I can tell, I have it setup right, but the reverse dns
isn't complying.
I've added the following to the named.conf file supplied with bind

zone "smotrs.org" IN {
notify no;
type master;
file "smotrs.zone";
check-names fail;
allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
notify no;
type master;
file "192.168.0.zone";
check-names fail;
allow-update { none; };
};

and I've created the appropriate files within /var/named like so.
smotrs.zone file reads as follows

$TTL 3D

@ IN SOA wetdream.smotrs.org. hostmaster.smotrs.org. (
199802151 ; serial
8H ; refresh
2H ; retry
4W ; expire
1D ) ; minimum
;
NS wetdream.smotrs.org. ; Inet Address of name
server
MX 10 mail.smotrs.org. ; Primary Mail Exchanger
;
localhost A 127.0.0.1
pipedream A 192.168.0.10
wetdream A 192.168.0.11
mail CNAME wetdream

and 192.168.0.zone file reads as follows

$TTL 3D

@ IN SOA wetdream.smotrs.org. hostmaster.smotrs.org. (
199802151 ; serial
8H ; refresh
2H ; retry
4W ; expiry
1D ) ; minimum

NS wetdream.smotrs.org.

1 PTR pipedream.smotrs.org.
2 PTR wetdream.smotrs.org.

but when I goto check the reverse per the Howto I've been referring to, it
shows the following

wetdream:/var/named # dig -x 192.168.0.10 +pfmin
;; got answer:
;; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; 10.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = ANY, class = IN

wetdream:/var/named #

with no answer section. Which indicates to me that it's not working
correctly. I can dig a domainname but not an ip address. Anyone know what
I missed?
--
S.Toms - smotrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - www.mindspring.com/~smotrs
SuSE Linux v7.0+ - Kernel 2.2.18

There is no satisfaction in hanging a man who does not object to it
-- G. B. Shaw

  • No further messages